Friday, October 26, 2012

Catching a break

Good morning! Life is so full of events, I often see what has transpired during a single day as a movie trailer. Snippets of activities fill my brain as I try to chill out and relax for bed. Sometimes the images are happy and full of joy and flowers and other times, the visions are horrific as I try to shut them down.

With that said, the past 24 hours' review is one of a horror film as I quietly mull over what has here goes....

On Wednesday morning, I got a call from the big kid. He was despondent and  I could barely hear the call. "Mom, they say that I have mono and can't pitch or work out for 6 weeks. My life X@@#^%$! Why can't I catch a break? Ever?"

Hmmm, why indeed? Why can't this kid just go to school and play baseball? After all, he overcame insecurities, should surgery, flus, intestinal issues, rashes, chicken pox, and eggs tossed at his home. Why can't he get two weeks of serenity? After all, when he has serenity, I can concentrate on other issues in my life too.....sounds pretty self indulgent, doesn't it?

As I waited for him  to calm down (which he didn't), I asked him to review what exactly was said by the baseball for 6 activities...can burst spleen....

OK, I get it. The MDs at college offer a grim picture. Time to come home. Dad will pick you up Thursday at 1 pm. I will make appointment with Primary Care MD and momma will take over.

After working 10 hours teaching two long classes, I ran to the MD's office to meet dad and the kid. He had a hoodie over his head and his color was ashen. he could not swallow his saliva and was burning with fever. He looked like a train wreck.

After waiting 45 minutes to see the doc, she walked in and saw him sleeping on the exam table. She took one look at him and sent us to the emergency room across the street. I had to drop him off and park the car. As I entered the triage area, he was handing the receptionist his health insurance, he could barely speak or breathe and then she sent us to sit in a corner. As we sat down, he whispered "I can hardly breathe."

This is something a mother never wants to hear. But if she does hear it, the best place to listen to these words is an emergency

I calmly walked over to the receptionist as I held my self back from running to the admitting nurse. "Ma'm, he is having trouble breathing...."

"Excuse me,...." she says calmly..."but we are busy....."

Ok, know me. You know that once the bear has been poked, all fangs and claws come out and someone is gonna git it! 


The other people in the waiting area gave to me a look of appreciation. This little lady with the big bad attitude was just handed her head.

With that, the nurse flies out and Buddy is taken to triage. within minutes, he was in the actual ER, in a bed, with an IV and medication. His breathing was monitored and he slowly began to respond to the therapy.

Ok, this is better. Ladies...look out, cause BP mom is on the case. Oh, the things that a mother will do for her babies and the people she loves....

The medication that he needed (besides the iv fluids) was prednisone which is a steroid. At school, the doctor would not give it to him because he was afraid that the kid would test positive for steroids and not be allowed to pitch.

You know what is wrong with the doc's thinking? EVERYTHING!!!

Let's review....he needs steroids to decrease the swelling of his throat so that he can breathe. The doctor is afraid of the NCAA. Why wasn't he afraid that my kid could die? After all, he has yet to be drug tested. According to Buddy, they usually drug test the kids who do not play. I have a hard time believing that, but he has not been drug tested in three years, so perhaps there is merit to that statement.

Now, if he is drug tested next week, there will be hospital documentation regarding the need for the medication. I believe that the NCAA would be somewhat lenient in this case....ya think?

Moving on....he was assigned a room on the second floor and we took him with the tech to meet his new roomie.....the girl who pushed the stretcher admitted that she had been diagnosed with mono last week and did not have the problems that Buddy did. She actually looked pretty good.

Dad and I were sent out of the room as the nurses settled him in. One very young nurse walked up to me and said that she knew me from school. Naturally, this was not my finest moment and I did not want to be recognized by anyone...and I mean anyone. I did not want gossip circulating around work about me outside of the class room...just sayin'

Anyway, as the night progressed, Buddy's airway opened, he could swallow, and speak again. It was pretty amazing. And so, after a good night's sleep, I am receiving texts: "Get me out of here!" Now, I know that he is fine.

Where does this leave us? Well, I am headed back to the hospital and the kid if all is well will be discharged tonight around 8pm.

In my next post, I will discuss my theory on why this has to do with over exertion, poor medical care, and a house with an open door policy.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment