Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I want a new drug

Huey Lewis sings:
I want a new drug
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick

I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red

One that won't make me nervous
Wonderin' what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm alone with you

I want a new drug
One that won't spill
One that don't cost too much
Or come in a pill

I want a new drug
One that won't go away
One that won't keep me up all night
One that won't make me sleep all day

One that won't make me nervous
Wonderin' what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm alone with you
I'm alone with you baby

I want a new drug
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good

I want a new drug
One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk too much
Or make my face break out

Why am I quoting Huey Lewis? Wellllll.......

As we returned home from the south, Diva seemed way off. She had laryngitis and was unable to relax. She was needier, if one could believe it, than ever before and I had trouble with going away again so soon. And so, I have been pondering whether to stay or go and naturally, I decided to go to Texas.

However......last night as I sat with my papers grading them with a glass of wine next to me (I needed it, the papers were giving me agita; the wine was not), poor Diva could not lie down. As I tried to lift her, she yelped like I have never heard her yelp before. My observational powers were quite keen as I continued to assess the situation.....unable to lie down or sit, in pain, and her back legs were out of alignment with her frame. Oh sure, I know what you are thinking, but really, the dog was in some sort of distress. I lifted her gently and ran to the doggie ER.

While there, she did not bark at anyone and could not settle down. As the vet lifted her and performed his assessment, he thought that she had a pinched nerve, which could be the good news. The bad news if it is not a pinched nerve would be possibly a tumor. All I heard was a tumor and MRI if the prescribed drugs did not work. Oh no, not Diva! The he showed me how to check for paralysis which would be an emergency (more for me than the dog).
Which leads me to contemplate the joys and sorrows of owning  a dog. Diva, although she can be very irritating with her barking, has been one of my dearest friends. Yes, she is my friend. She has been there in my highest of highs and lowest of lows. She loves unconditionally. Who can say that about anyone? Am I right?

However, the drawbacks of dog ownership are not being able to understand what they are thinking and their short life span. Already, I am devastated thinking about her not being in the house every day to greet me when I walk in. Do the kids and spouse say hello with great fervor like the dog? Nope....they don't move a muscle as I walk in. All they say is "what's for dinner....?" On the other hand, Diva dives at me and doe not stop jumping until I stop and give her some love and she reiprocates. The purity of this relationship is so simple and sweet. Oye.....paralysis? I am not going to go there mentally....

 

And so, we prepare to leave tomorrow morning at 4 am for the airport. Once again we leave poor Diva, but at least she has the house to herself.

How is the big kid doing with the Pitching Doctor? Well, I think he is fine although yesterday they told him to go home. He is the first one there and the last to leave. He works out 7 days a week in the blazing heat. Am I worried? Hmmm....I don't know. Do all guys/girls who want to be professional athletes work out this way? What about doctors? Aren't they in the library all the time? How about dancers? They are always practicing....so, to answer the 'am I worried' question....no, I am not.

What I worry about is whether or not this extraordinary effort is worth it. Will it put him over the top with talent OR will he remain the same guy in the bullpen? I don't know. He thinks that he knows, so I will continue to sit back, encourage, and support his journey....Oh yeah, and I will take the journey with him as I pack my bags for the Lone Star state.....but before I leave, I have to call Diva's babysitter and leave her new drugs with her......

Adios, pardner......


No comments:

Post a Comment