Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bullpen mom...forever and ever and ever....

Good morning! For some strange reason, fall ball continues. I thought that it was over last week, but lo and behold, I think that it will morph into winter ball then spring ball then summer ball. When does my kid do his homework? If I hear the phrase: "I am so tired..." one more time, I will scream...or not....

Yesterday, he sent me his criminology grade. Remember this course? It was the one that he really liked at the beginning of the year. Then the work began, the first test was taken, the first "D" was earned and badda badda bing...he hated the class. Well, knowing the word "eligible" was embedded in his head, he rallied to earn a "B+" in his last test. As evidence, he sent the scanned test to me (kind of a CSI thing to do....) and he did not complete the last two questions which could have earned him his highest test grade of the past two years. In a true Buddy-like comment, he replied "I thought that I was done with the test..." I then asked for his permission to say it since I never put the kids down and said "DOIEY!" And so it goes, he works his butt off to study and makes a mistake like not finishing his test.

The way that I look at it is that he likes the pressure of bringing his grades up. It is like the bottom of the 9th, he needs three outs to finish off the World Series....instead of getting the first three players out, he walks them, 'cause he likes the stress...then he systematically gets the last three guys out while never giving up a run. Yet, as we watch from the stands, our hearts are pounding while perspiration drips off our foreheads onto the ground making a big puddle, the Big Kid finishes the game and he wins it for the team. A hero, because he always comes from behind to prove his value and worth. From a mom's perspective, he has a great deal of value and worth as he and his sister carry my heart in their hands.

With that said, Dog overhead the head coach say that Buddy was "born to close". What the heck? Does this mean that I have to sit in the stands every single game until infinity watching other guys play, my kid leaning over the bullpen fence spitting out seeds until the bottom of the 9th inning forever? I guess that I am going to be Bullpen mom until the day I die...and so it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment