Monday, April 21, 2014

Abysmal losses

I'm back! After a beautiful weekend in the mountains with the family, we are back to life and work. I felt bad for the kid. Why?



Well, as you know, he is not the coach's golden boy. From this point on, I call the coach, the Czar....for multiple reasons. First, a Czar is not necessarily clear headed and often will not admit that he is wrong, ever.

On to the weekend games....


The team played a conference rival that was 'not that good' but the home team made them look like the Yankees. There was plenty of hitting but the pitching did not hold up. Hmmm.....did the kid get to throw? Well, if you consider throwing out the trash in the bullpen to be throwing, then the answer is 'yes'; he threw.



After Saturday's loss (and I have to say...a wonderful spring day....), guys continued to walk up to him and question why he was not pitching. Why indeed? The only thought was that the coach was saving him for the Sunday start....yes? Uh, no....

The starter partied the night before the noon game. In fact, most of the guys partied on Saturday night since the locker room smelled like beer and vodka pre game. So, if the pitchers and players are drinking until the wee hours of the morning, what kind of shape are they when the game begins? And so, the question was answered in the pre game warm ups when the pitcher could not find the plate. He was yanked mercifully after 4 innings, with the score 1-4. Did the big lefty enter? uh, no, a decent freshman got the ball....then they called the right fielder in to pitch an inning....then....OK, you get it. He did not dirty his uniform.

After the game, rather than heading home, we stayed to celebrate Tink's birthday together. As we chatted, the kid mentioned that he really does not understand it. In fact, he continues to strike out their number one guy in practice who is batting .380. The other day when he struck him out (again), the coach did not believe it and grabbed the ball to see if it had been doctored. Then he questioned the catcher who acknowledged that it was indeed a strike and the super star fanned out again at the hands of the benched pitcher.



Why doesn't the coach like the big guy? No one knows, especially his team mates. However, dad suggested that he approaches the coach on Wednesday after they return from Ohio and ask him: "Coach, why don't you like me?" This will put him on the defensive and he will have to have the answer.

After the game yesterday when the Czar generally screams, he said to the starting pitcher that he gave a gutsy performance (with a horrific hangover) and would definitely give him the ball again. As my kid looked at the coach with quizzical eyes, he saw the reason for the Czar's calm demeanor, there was a recruit in the locker room. As such, the Czar was on his best behavior to demonstrate how he is not all about winning but about education. Such a hypocrite.
 


With that said, the Czar recently celebrated his 300th win. My son reported that the teams that he has beaten were as good as a bad high school team. Therefore, any team that could actually throw a ball would defeat the team, even if Ray Charles was pitching and Stevie Wonder was the catcher.

Last week during a press conference, the coach mentioned his 300 wins and said that it was no big deal, but he continued to reference it, when no one was asking.

Now comes the moment of truth. Tomorrow the team heads for Ohio for a mid week game. Will the big lefty be given the ball? Who is left after the weekend? If he does not pitch, not only will the team, but the student body may revolt. After all, they can see what the Czar continues to dismiss. That is, this guy is good. He can throw. Does he have bad days? The answer is absolutely, but this guy refuses to develop him and allow him to help the team. In fact, it seems that the Czar would rather lose a game or ten rather than admit that the big lefty in he line up could be helpful.


Therefore, tonight at 6 pm, I will do what I do not want to do. And that is listen to his radio show to find out what the heck. Yep, he has his own radio show. The only start that my son received was announced on the radio show. The Czar never told him until three hours before the game. Fortunately, Tonto has been listening to the radio show the previous night and gave the kid a heads up. Sadly, the Czar loathes the kid so much that he refuses to even text him to prepare him for a start unless he feels that the lefty would psyche himself out if he knew. Stupid.

Remember the best revenge is to live well..... After all, according to Lady Gaga: he is on the edge....But John Fogerty says it best: "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play."

"Centerfield"

Well, a-beat the drum and hold the phone
The sun came out today
We're born again, there's new grass on the field
A-roundin' third and headed for home
It's a brown-eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me, I can be centerfield

Well, I spent some time in the Mudville Nine
Watching it from the bench
You know I took some lumps, when the mighty Case struck out
So say hey, Willie, tell the Cobb
And Joe DiMaggio
Don't say it ain't so, you know the time is now

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me, I can be centerfield

Yeah, I got it, I got it

Got a beat-up glove, a home-made bat
And a brand new pair of shoes
You know I think it's time to give this game a ride
Just to hit the ball, and touch 'em all
A moment in the sun
It's a-gone and you can tell that one good-bye

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me (yeah), I can be centerfield

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me, gotta be, centerfield
Yeah u




Ok, I have to finish laundry and get to work. Time waits for no one.
Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment