Saturday, December 31, 2011

And the answer is......

New Year's Eve....I cannot believe it. Last week, I was furiously trying to finish preparations for the Christmas holiday and now it is all over. Last night Buddy commented that the decorations should come down after the Epiphany (Little Christmas) at the end of next week. Naturally, he will be back in school and would not have the privilege of helping me to take down the 9 foot tree and outdoor lights. Guess what Dude? Tag, you're it....I am looking forward to dismantling the holiday decorations with my children almost as much as they are....

Onto the the big mystery: "What is wrong with my shoulder?" Yes, it was time for BP mom to take the trip to college and have a thorough conversation with the orthopedic doctor and his sports medicine fellow. Not the type of conversation where I ask how his holiday was...but the kind in which I basically say, "you have had two months to deal with my son's shoulder...he is not any better...is it time for me to go over your head?" His eyes opened widely when he saw dad and me sitting in the exam room with the big leftie. Yes, sir, we are here and not leaving until we have answers.

As Buddy described his pain upon motion, the doctor did a pretty thorough assessment and still did not have answers. Then it was time for the MRI discussion....yes, he should have a MRI and we will schedule it after the new year...."Uh, doc....no...let's do this now...today....you have had this kid's arm on the exam table since late October....let's confirm the diagnosis..." Oh yeah...did I say the word "today?" I think so....BPM was taking no prisoners....LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION....

And so, the doctor ordered the MRI and we went to the scheduling desk. Once again, we were not going to take 'no' for an answer. The test was to be done now as I kept my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. Abby, the girl at the desk was trying to convince X-ray to take Buddy immediately. She would say: "uh huh....uh-huh...hmmmm....." Nothing....Dr wants it....."hmmmm....OK..." Nothing....Then she said, "well, he is a university athlete..." "2 pm....great...." And so, ladies and gentleman...those are the magic words at this university...."he is a university athlete." they hold more value than Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Medicare, and Medicaid combined. Those words are more desirable than Liz Taylor's jewelry or money in the bank. The words open doors like nothing I have ever seen before and holding them in my memory, I will use them at another point when I need them.

We had two hours to kill before the test and went to one of Buddy's favorite Mexican restaurants for lunch. As we sat there, I watched two massive burritos that had to be held with two hands, eaten by Buddy and his dad (it was pretty grisly. I had to turn my head). Even eating at his favorite place, the big kid was quiet. It seemed that the doctor had mentioned surgery as an option and that if the MRI shows calcium deposits or a labral tear, he would be out for the year. This was not a good scenario. Nor was it confirmed, but the word 'surgery' was all that he heard and could not get it out of his head. I told him to think of his 'happy place'...It seemed that relaxation visualizations led him to picture a scalpel and sterile operating room rather than a warm and sunny beach. I could tell that he was extremely upset.

The only thing that I could think of to take his mind off the MRI results was to find him a Hershey's Cookies and Creme candy bar. It's his favorite and perhaps this is all that I can do for him besides pray (which is ongoing).

Naturally, the candy bar lightened the spirit for 30 seconds and he went back to being despondent as we parked the car at the hospital's MRI parking lot. The test would take a few hours once he had to be injected with dye. As the technician took him back for the injection, dad and I sat there not talking....just sitting....and hoping for the best. He came back after 30 minutes with a pained look on his face....apparently they had to stick him several times with the needle which did not please him. At least he was not like Tink who had kicked the doctor after she was given a shot. He took it like a man (I think). Then it was time for the MRI and I exited. I felt that dad and Buddy could handle the rest of the day without my interference, so I drove home.

After the test, they walked back to the doctor's office and he read the MRI in front of them. With great anticipation, the three of them plus the sports medicine fellow stared at the images. Surgery? no surgery? tear? tendonitis? malformation? calcium deposits? physical therapy? cortisone shots? Come on, man! What is it?

The answer is...drum roll please!......"no labral tear...some calcium although not enough to cause pain....tendonitis.....To treat the issue, ibuprofen and rehab...that's it...

I do know a few things about tendonitis and it can be tough to treat although not impossible, and take a long time to heal. Honestly, he did not offer anything else except rehab. This leads me to ponder the question, 'is that it?'. What about massage? Should he throw? How long is he out? When should he see you again? There are still many unanswered questions and I am not sure how to react.

And there you have it....a confirmed diagnosis, yet treatment is still fuzzy. Pop said that Buddy should buy a new pillow and not sleep on his left side....Interesting...perhaps one of the best pieces of advice given in the last 24 hours. Never mentioned by the doctor, what if all it took was switching sleep positions and another fluffy pillow? Wouldn't that be a hoot? All the time and money spent on diagnosing and rehab-ing the problem and all he needed was a $24 pillow with feathers rather than foam? Pop, you may be a genius....

Have a wonderful new year and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment