Sunday, September 22, 2013

Learning to adapt

Hello! Another beautiful day! A Saturday and it is not raining....nice....as Tank would say....'nice'...

I am expecting a visitor this afternoon. Guess who? Uh huh...Cupcake is going to be in da house. Yep....as she now runs not walks and can dance by swinging her diaper, I think I am going to be entertained. Tink is here, so technically, she is in charge of the child. Me? Nope....got other things to do like chipping the glue out of my hair from yesterday's hair cut.



By the way, I went to a new exercise class called 'Sh'Bam'. First, I googled it. They had me when the description was dancing, 45 minutes, and 500+ calories. As many know, the spouse is an accountant. Part of the job description is never be seen on the dance floor. This means if I want to dance or shake my booty, I have to go out with the girls. It can be fun being with the posse on the dance floor, but the slow dances are a turn off....Quick story....and true....

BP Mom's grandmother also loved to dance and she danced with women after grandpop passed away. She had tickets for the Lawrence Welk Show when he was in town and sat in the front row. At the end of the show, LW picked ladies from the audience and danced with them. Grandmom, in true form, was leading rather than following.     LW, not pleased, told her that he was the leader. In reply, she mentioned that she leads because she dances with women. At that point, LW passed her on to the dancer known as Bobby, 'cause he could not take her anymore.          This is a family legend that continues to be passed down from generation to generation. Moral of the story? If you want to dance with Lawrence Welk-- do not lead. Or one could say: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Back to Sh'Bam.....Tink and I made the early class and immediately enjoyed it...a little bit of hip hop...


little dance moves...salsa/cha cha mix...
 

the pony....




the Batman....also known as the bat-tusi


and the wavy neck move.


As my neck went one way, my head went the other and can anyone say "ouch?" Yeah....today I will have ice packs on the left knee, right elbow, and right side of my neck. With my deteriorating body, I wonder if I will be dancing like my grandmom when I hit her age. Realistically...probably not, unless



 I invest in a new freezer to keep stockpiles of ice packs with a sign 'break in case of an emergency'.

How is the big kid...can anyone say "oye"? I will never forget what dad said when the pitching coach was fired:"Be careful what you wish for.....the new guy could be worse...." And truer words were never spoken....here is what has been going on.....

The new pitching coach is young-ish in his 30's.....He comes from the south and is quite the hot head. He yells...berates...insults....messes with the kids' head. he has thrown my kid out of a bullpen practice twice. As Buddy throws, he is yelling at him to throw it over the plate, alter his mechanics, and follow directions. The big leftie does his best to comply but when a person has something called 'muscle memory', it is tough to change things immediately. He's not a car that can stop on a dime. And so, he has been thrown out of practice and is trying to figure out a way to get along. There is a silver lining to this tale of woe is...he screamed at the kid that he had the 'best stuff' on the team and should be pitching better. Uh, dude...he hasn't really pitched in a few years and may be a twinge rusty. However, he is right....figure it out.

In his truest form, the leftie says that he deserved to be called out and is working to improve his delivery and command. OK, but really....this is crazy. Apparently, the coach yells at everyone but seems to love my kid as his favorite target. If his goal is to get more out of him, then I am not sure that he can if he makes him afraid. But it seems that there are coaches who are screamers and others who politely try to get their points across. Did he grow up in a household of screamers? Did his mom yell at him all the time? His dad? Teachers? I dunno....it's not my style but the kid has to figure out how to deal with him in order to stay relevant on the team. I guess that this is yet another life lesson or five....

Dad actually remembers meeting the coach from a tournament in Virginia. He introduced himself as he did with all of the coaches when Buddy played on a traveling team and the coach ignored him. Dad never forgot this lack of courtesy and is now shocked that this guy is the big kid's coach. 'Cause if he had actually tried to recruit the kid years ago, we never would have agreed to send him to the coach's school because of his arrogance....and now....OYE! Although I do remember a letter sent to the house from the coach's school. Oh well....again, this is something that he has to deal with and adjust.

OK, time to pay attention to little Cupcake. Diva is a bit put off having someone in the house who is cuter.             ....

Have a wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment