Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birthday Musings

Good morning. Natalie Cole is adding to my thoughts as she sings..."The very thought of you" on Pandora...what a great song..."I see your face in every flower....your eyes in stars above...." It's a love song....timeless....the mind wanders and rests on the people that I love...what are they doing? How are they feeling? Should I give them a call or send them a note? Do they know that I am thinking of them...

I guess I am in this reflective mood again as Buddy celebrated his 19th birthday yesterday. According to all published reports (Facebook), the day was a good one. I spoke with him a record number of times and had some good conversations. And as always, I spoke to him at 8:49 pm, the moment that he officially entered my life on the first of March, 19 years ago. It might seem corny to some, but to me, it was a monumental event like buying your first home or car, receiving your first credit card (AMEX...I remember that one very very well), and your wedding day. It's also a "mom" thing and for some reason, he puts up with me and my very sentimental nature.

During our conversations, we made plans for the weekend when the team travels south to NC and Va for 10 days. Sisters in law Chill and Blue Devil with be there along with brother in law...The Hunter....Buddy and Tink's former babysitter, Einstein, will also stop by to watch one of the games. It looks like the weather will hold and the weekend should be lots of fun. Hopefully, Buddy will actually get into a game and at least face one batter with us watching.....If not, we will still be there to support the rest of the team and take lots of pictures with him sitting in the bull pen. If he is in a 'snarky' mood, the photos will be of his back since he will not look at me when he is in that state especially when I have a camera in my hand.

Nineteen years old....It seems like last week when he picked up his plastic Fisher Price bat for the first time or threw his first left handed pitch. No one was happier than his father to see his son pitch and bat left handed. It was like he won the lottery, invested his winnings, and was living off a trust fund in a beach house that had air conditioning....Frankly, I was not impressed, but his dad was elated....it must be a "guy thing"....

With that said, it is time to pack the bags, check the gps navigation, choose a route, buy some snacks, call the dog sitter for Diva Dog, make sure there are enough funds in the debit account, fill up the gas tank, pack the lucky sneakers and baseball bag, and plug in the camera....Look out I-95...Mom and Tink are taking a road trip....

No comments:

Post a Comment