Friday, March 4, 2011

Road Trip

Hello
We pointed the car south this morning at 6am, turned on the tunes, and set the navigation system. Tink and I hit the open highway, stopping only a few times to stretch, grab some coffee, and refuel.

The first stop was only a few minutes from the house as we picked up some bagels and coffee. This should keep us fed for 8 hours; I thought to myself....how wrong I was....

As we hit I 95, we were in a rhythm....like a surgeon and scrub nurse....I would call out for Tink to hand to me...coffee....gum....napkin...Twizzler....gummy worms...chap stick....water bottle....It was a methodical and effective system. I never had to take my eyes off the road and always had what I needed, especially the coffee.

As one hour turned into two then three, the music became an important part of the trip as we sang along with Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, Stones, and oldies music....Hang on Sloopy was on the radio as Tink and I had a debate....The song title is "Sloopy"...not "Snoopy”...It's like the time she said to me "I like Q-tips in my salad"...perhaps she meant croutons? Anyway, as we tried to sing along, since we had no idea what the words were, we hummed, sang hang on sloopy and changed the station.

We made a few strategic stops along the way. The first stop was a Cracker Barrel since I knew the restrooms were clean and then found a Starbucks. My life was complete....back to I 95…

Once we found the stadium in NC, Tink and I sat in some very nice seats behind the third base line. I walked around a bit and found Buddy in the bull pen with the rest of the pitchers and scored some photos of his back, right ear and number….that’s it….I sat back down with Tink and waited and waited and waited for our Buddy to enter the game. Come on coach (I thought), let him pitch to one guy...just one...sadly, no Buddy...the game ended with our team scoring the winning run at the top of the 9th and they held on to win the game. Yeah team....
Tomorrow the teams play a double header beginning at 1pm. The Sunday game was cancelled because of torrential rain in the forecast, so they will try to play two on Saturday.

After the game, we picked Buddy up at the hotel and took him to dinner and shopping for some birthday clothes. Apparently he is still growing and needs clothes that fit. So, off to the mall we went…..while walking around, he confided in me that he could not find his wallet with his meal money and license in it. Wrong thing to admit to a very tired mother! Huh? No wallet? What about your ID? Your (actually my) credit card…is that missing too? Anything else missing besides my mind? How does a kid lose a wallet with money in it? What is he thinking or not thinking? Am I the only parent who has a kid who has lost all forms of identification and melts his credit cards? What did I miss telling him when he was growing up? Perhaps I neglected to mention driver’s licenses, wallets, money, and credit cards are to be protected at all times. Perhaps he slept through that lesson. He calmly assured me that he would find the wallet once he returned to the hotel and I was not to worry….Thanks pal…I will take the night off from worrying….Since I am now worry free, it’s time to have a merlot…..more tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment