Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Theme songs

On Saturday, Tink, Buddy and I sat around the room chatting about random things from the best burgers to how to throw a cutter (I am still not sure what a cutter is...perhaps something a butcher does....). Anyway, Buddy mentioned that he needed an introductory song for home games. The investigative reporter in me asked the question, "huh?" All ballplayers are introduced during games with a themes song in the background of their choice....everyone knows that...

For example, "Wild Thing" was the song that introduced Charlie Sheen in the Major League baseball movies. It was appropriate given his predisposition for throwing wild pitches (actually, it is appropriate for him today...). Also, Chase Utley is introduced by a Led Zeppelin song (I suppose he chose it). With that said, I asked Buddy what his choice would be. His response was some "rap song" that I never heard of. Aghast, I asked him NOT to choose a song with 4-letter words in it. "Don't worry, Mom, they edit the song..."....Lovely...an edited obscene song with 4 letter words introducing the kid that I sent to Catholic school for 13 years....This is a mother's dream....

OK, so we still have a week before he has to submit his song to the team manager....I am thinking of some songs that would be more appropriate...I have eliminated Barry Manilow, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Jerry Vale. As someone who loves classic rock (the boy grew up listening to it in his car seat), I am thinking of the following songs:

1. Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash) (why not...he has a burning fast ball)...
2. Everybody dance now (it has a great opening phrase and is somewhat party-like)...
3. Me and Julio Down By the School Yard (what is there NOT to like about this song? Paul Simon nailed it with the drums and guitars)...
4. Great Balls of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis and his piano and opening line....awesome!)
5. Under Pressure (David Bowie and Queen) (the opening few seconds with the bass are very memorable)
6. I Feel Good (The opening James Brown scream gets your attention)....
7. Let's Get it Started (Black Eyed Peas.....why not?)
8. Start Me Up (Rolling Stones....Mick J moving the crowd....)
9. You make me want to shout! (Isley Brothers and Animal House...classic song..even the preschoolers know this song)
10. Get Ready for This.....(a fun song...)

I am sure that none of these songs will be selected. I am hoping and praying that the song that defines my child in his freshman year is one that he can be proud of in the years to come.....go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment