Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Oh my.....

Hey! What a day! Tonight the "Tink-ster" and I are headed to a major party in the city with some of the family. A cousin is being honored for her philanthropic work. It was nice that Tink and I were on the list to celebrate with her. There is a bit of a dilemma....yeah, I know....now what?
Well, what do you wear to a fancy party on a Wednesday night? Do I have what it takes in my own closet to look like I fit in but did not go over the top nor under it? To that end, Scoob and I have been taking pictures of our wardrobe and texting them to each other for a 'yay' or 'nay'.....I had to send three pix before I got a 'yay'. Scoob hit a home run right off the bat. And so, tonight is a big night for the family as we honor one of our own, in outfits that we had gathering a great deal of dust in the closet. I think that the last time I wore this top/jacket was 10 years ago to a fund raiser at Buddy's elementary school. Yep, I get out quite a bit.....I am sooo popular!

On to baseball....hee hahhh....yep, the big kid and the team traveled to Ohiooo yesterday. I predicted in yesterday's post that he would pitch...here is what happened.....

The game was broadcasted on the computer through the university's website and Tink and I gathered around it to watch with Diva and a container of pretzel goldfish. Ready to go.....the game was very close until the 7th inning and then it happened....the wheels came off the little train that could and it derailed...in a big way...when I say 'big', I mean global.....


I am lost for how to describe this one without seeming too "judgmental" but here goes....
error...walk...hit batter.....single....double....walk....walk....error...hit batter....changed pitcher....triple...bases loaded.....new pitcher.....walk...single...new pitcher....error.....embarrassment....and so on...then I offered a silent prayer: "Please Lord, don't put him in this game....Thank you....I owe you...."
 
My prayer was answered and a pitcher who never faced a batter the entire season was brought in....oh boy, I felt for this kid....

Now, if they were playing the Detroit Tigers or Cincinnati Reds, I could see how they would implode. But guess what? The team that they played had the same record and therefore, they were playing themselves (in a matter of speaking....). By the 9th inning, I wanted Tink to turn off the game and a Merlot....yeah, I am not ashamed to admit it, but a glass of wine did the trick last night after viewing this disaster. Maybe I should have the drink before the next game rather than after...although dad came home and suggested that after watching this one go down, he might consider a glass of wine too. He settled for a beer....great minds think alike, eh?

On the way home from Ohio, I got a number of texts. I ignored some of them and did not want to indulge any self-pity. I let it go. But when he called home to speak with dad late last night, dad told him that he was happy that he was not in the game and felt the best thing that could happen this weekend would be not to travel to Illinois and come home to prepare for Houston.

If he does not travel, then he might be coming home today. Sadly, there will be no hero's welcome since Tink and I have to attend our party. Yep, today is about us...oh, I mean my philanthropic cousin....that's right....

Once the kid makes it home, he will have the opportunity to speak to the Baker regarding summer hours at the bakery washing dishes and tending to the customers......speak to the coach of the summer league team....compete an affidavit for the Houston clinic....drive to the Lehigh Valley to speak to Coach T. No where on that list was "spend time with mom on Mother's Day..." Nope, I see where I rank, far below our beloved Coach T and a little round ball with seams on it.

It's time for me to finish. Cupcake is on her way over since Buttercup has a class or two today. Tink has babysitting duties which generally means that I am 'on call' .....

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment