Friday, May 31, 2013

Am I dreaming?

Hello! Friday....Friday...Friday! That's it....hot n juicy kind of a day. There are lots of weeds that need to be pulled, but it's waaay too hot. Speaking of too hot, I have tried to get my electrician to fix the outside lights for the past 6 weeks. First excuse: "ground is too hard..." Second excuse: "too wet"...Next excuse: "get the bushes trimmed so I can get back there..." Today's excuse: "too hot..." Dude, do you only work when the weather is dry, 72 degree temperatures with a cool but not too cool breeze? 'Cause if this is the case, I am going to electrician school and dumping my college degrees....just sayin'....


On to a bigger problem than the lighting on the outside of the house.....yesterday, the big guy woke up with terrible pain in the left arm and a more terrible reaction. I am not going to give you a blow by blow description, but let's just say that I left for work a few hours early. He was absolutely hostile, salty, and out of his mind. Nothing is right. Everything is wrong. This is the worst....blah blah blah....yeah, that's what it sounded like and I am not kidding. On my way out the door, I admonished him for going from 0 to 60 mph without shifting and considering his options. Frankly, I would not like this kid to be my surgeon when a major artery is nicked with the scalpel. I can see him screaming in the operating room while all of my blood leaves my body.....again....just sayin'....



As I ran out the door, I shouted to him..."Did you call PT?...no.....well....what do you expect?"
"Text Uncle G to see you....." Finally as I sped away in the safety of my vehicle, I considered one last option. And may I say that it was my idea....I called home....call your surgeon and see if he can see you today.

And so, I landed safely at work, and yes, I was more than happy to be there when I received call number 1: "The surgeon will see me today....." Good. This call interrupted my first meeting.



Call number two comes in after call number one (again interrupting my meeting) from dad. I did answer reluctantly and asked if I could return his call after the meeting: "Hurry up..." Why does this lack of planning constitute an emergency for me? Huh? Why?



Having to rush through the rest of the meeting with the explanation that my 21 year kid and his dad cannot go 10 minutes without speaking to me, I returned the call. "We're going to see Dr. M at 1:45." Gotcha....by chance, you really don't need me there....right?

On to meeting two that went very well without any texts, calls or updates.....

Now, I don't want anyone to think that I am self-indulgent, but I finally decided to treat the legs and feet to a pedicure.....Ok, there is more to the story than picking the right color....

The pedicure was to take place at a new place where the women and men sit in easy chairs, lights are dimmed, candles are lit (or actually faux candles), music is low and soothing, and they begin by placing you on an ottoman with your feet in a warm bucket of water, not a whirlpool. Then as you sit there, a woman with strong fingers and hands gives you a shoulder and back message....yep, that's right.....it's just what I needed after months of being on call, resolving problems, worry, and stress...



as I began to relax, the phone goes off....OYE!!!! "Where are you? We haven't been seen yet by the doctor...." My 30 seconds of relaxation evaporated into the bucket of water....."Uh, pedicure time....remember? A year overdue....K?"


Hanging up,  I turned the ringer volume off as she began to massage the legs...when I tell you that this was amazing...I am not lying....relax...relax...relax....ahhhh.....ring...ring...ring...the phone rang through vibration....Ignore it, I say to myself...this is your 10 minutes....ignore it....ignore it....ignore...."OK, now what??"


And my 30 seconds of relaxation was all I needed as the surgeon felt that he could continue to throw and that his tricep was tight....diagnosis: go to Texas....He actually said more, but I don't have enough time to review. Therefore, the trip was on...or was it?

Today he was scheduled to see his PT to discuss therapy and stretches to alleviate the sore tricep....ready, set, go.....the PT examined the kid and shut him down. In other words, no Texas. Sigh....

Here is the breakdown...he has a little strain and his mechanics are screwed up (that's what college coaching will do for ya....). No Texas....come to PT....relearn your mechanics, build your shoulder strength again....oh by the way, according to his surgeon who is the KC Royals pitching doctor, a pitcher is never to lift weights over his head. What has he been doing for the last three years? Answer: Lifting weights over his head. In fact, a good percentage of the team's pitchers have needed surgery in the past few years. And now, we know why.





Where do we stand besides the Land of Ambiguity? Well, he's not headed to Texas until July....going to work out with the therapist....going to see Coach T in Lehigh Valley...going to find a local pitching coach. All this is new information for us as we process the events of the last 48 hours.

Where do I stand? Well, I'd like to place my head in a bucket of warm water rather than my feet, pinch myself, and try to see if all of this is a dream.....


have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment