Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blooming

Good morning. I am back from my great I 95 adventure....a little weary...but happy that I was able to drive the distance. Hey, what do you expect? This is BP momma here and she is gonna see her baby pitch and that's all there is to it. And if anyone tells the big guy that I called him 'baby' I will deny it.



And so, the trip itself was interesting. I discovered a number of important things about myself which is one of the reasons why I wanted to take this journey. First of all, I will never drive for an extended period of time after I take a yoga and pilates class again. BY the third hour on the road, my right leg began to quiver. I am pretty sure that this is related to the work out that I had undergone just a few hours before I left. I could not stop since I had to make it to North Carolina by the end of the evening, so I turned my heated seat on, baked the leg for a few minutes, began to sweat, opened the window, cooled off, and started the process over again for about 6 hours. It worked.



Discovery number two was that if a person eats enough Skittles, she can make it to Florida without stopping for coffee. Yes, I know that this is going to hit me in the butt (which it already has) but the sugar was the fuel that got me through North Carolina.





Discovery three was that I am a control freak as I never let Tink take the wheel even when the right leg was quivering from pilates. Actually, our Tink did not care because she was comfy in her heated seat with her iPad.



Discovery four was that I am a terrible singer. That's right. I cannot carry a tune in a handbag. Thankfully Tink was not nasty about my inability to hit the notes in the songs but overall, I am embarrassing and will NEVER karaoke again in a group. I had not idea I was that bad until I sang from Pennsylvania to Florida and back again. Dad always says that I sound like Bob Dylan. I thought that he was kidding, but he's not. I do love the Pharrell song "Happy". It is very catchy and a person can turn up the volume and be...well....happy....while listening to it.
 

Discovery five was that I am absolutely nuts for living in the northeast. As I look at the snow falling outside my window, its beauty is no longer apparent to me. All I think about is shoveling and skidding out. While I was in the south, I looked like an idiot. I was wearing long pants and wool sweaters while the rest of the folks had shorts and tee shirts on. MY body was not in tee shirt shape, so I kept it covered. I went on a few walks in South Carolina and did not want to leave the warmth of the  sun. Now I understand why the ole folks live in Florida and go to the early bird specials. They're not fools.

Discovery six was the the need for a car to have good functional breaks is not over rated. In fact, it is a good idea. This discovery came when I was driving Pop to see the Southern Belle in his car. The difference between stopping the car right away and slowing down and making a stop by pumping the breaks was apparent. Therefore, my goal over the next few days is to spend the change that I find under the sofa cushions, locate a coupon, and buy my car breaks. Did it mean that Tink and I had a few narrow misses? Nah, I knew what was going on, but I am not stupid and will not continue to drive in a car that won't stop. It's a good idea, right?



Discovery seven is that my boy has a good arm, is a super D 1 pitcher, and needs more confidence. Further, we had multiple discussions about his ambitious goals as I asked him to cool it and look toward playing a fifth year rather than jumping into something else. I gave him the analogy of a flower. A flower has to bud before it blooms. You cannot rush the blooming process since it happens naturally. If you desire the flower to bloom prematurely, it won't. Leave it alone, give it sunshine and water and watch nature take its course. In contrast, he is that bud. He is almost ready to bloom but needs sunshine, fertilizer, and water. Therefore, don't rush it. No matter how much you desire the end to all of this, the process cannot be rushed.

There.  I said it. I said it again and again and I think that it has sunk into a very hard head. Ease up on the lofty season goals. Take it one pitch at a time. Bloom slowly rather than artificially and you will see something beautiful happen.


Yep, sometimes I surprise myself. I can be mighty convincing when I want to be. And so, perhaps this notion will take the pressure off to be perfect each time he lets a pitch fly. He can enjoy the season, travel, and games. I know that his college career is drawing to a close and I wonder if he has had any fun. Who knows?

Ok, I have to work. I have been gone over a week and loved it! But, the show must go on and on and on....



Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment