Monday, February 17, 2014

Home run!

I'm back and have heat. Now, I plot my actual escape from the northeast....the question is: do I leave before or after tomorrow's snow fall? Hmmmm. Not sure. I will flip a coin. Naw! I am out of here BEFORE baby! I think....



OK, and so....here we are...the beginning of a new and improved left handed pitcher....right? Uh...wellll......

Yesterday's first game began at 1 pm. The university in NC had a wonderful online stream with a terrific broadcaster. He was definitely a 'homer' (rooting for the home team) but he presented a balanced broadcast. Tink and I were spell bound in the family room while dad watched at work. A right hander started. The game was sloppy for both teams. But this was the first time outside since October for Buddy's team, so there were some adjustments to be made such as sunshine in the eyes and wind. With that said, there were a number of fielding errors by both teams.

Once again, as readers know, the title of this blog is 'bullpen' mom since I have had to wait and wait for an appearance by my leftie. No one knows if he will be called into a game, so we wait...and wait...wait some more....get the nails done...eat a granola bar...get a massage...drink tea....walk the dog....make cheesesteaks....sigh....stretch...look around for something to do....and then...

He appears! Or he does not....

During game one, he did not appear. Sigh! We watched the entire game with our breath held....no sighting....then we had to run a few errands. I got the game on my cell phone and off we went....

Game two....

The starting pitcher was a bit rocky....then the relief pitcher was rockier....the team was down 1-6 in the bottom of the 8th and guess who runs in? Yeah! That's right! The game to that moment had been three hours in length....now after watching both games for 6 hours, he appears...oh, look....he shaved! Smile, honey! You made it....

The announcer starts to talk about him. it seems that the anouncer's father had gone to the same school as the big leftie. Actually so did the vice president, which he mentioned during the broadcast.

The kid throws....strike one....ball....pop out.  Out 1.

Deep breath....meanwhile...Tink is in the kitchen watching the game while I am in the family room and dad is in his office. None of us wanted to look at the game together for some reason.

Next....ball one....strike....strike....ground ball to third base....TK throws the batter out! Out 2.

Now I am thinking. Here is where he struggles...to end it....I am worried....then the broadcaster says something fascinating...he gives ole BP mom a shout out...."It seems that the big leftie's mom was an excellent tennis player who was a Wildcat." Huh? He gave me a shout out! Me! Fade to black....naw, let's keep going with the story....

Batter number three...inside...ball one...then it happened.....he threw it.....the batter hit it....and he hit it hard...really hard...in fact, the ball landed in my back yard a few minutes ago.....




yep...home run....the team was now down 1-7, thanks to my kid....



Ok, one run...so what, right?

Batter 4: strike one....ball....strike....grounded to second....thrown out...no damage? Right?

The game was subsequently over and the teams split. When he called home, I held my breath as I thought that I would hear a tirade. Nope. "I threw it...he hit it....squarely....I was able to maintain my composure. The coach said I looked good. The ball has not landed yet."



Actually, the ball did land, but he learned something important. It was one pitch. One shot. Deep breath. Move on. I went to the Phillies Cardinals play off game a few years ago with dad and Dr. G. Roy Halladay threw the first pitch that was hit over the fence. The Phils lost to the Cards and the playoffs that night 1-0. I will never forget it. Halladay threw a brilliant game but the one pitch killed the team. Also, the team did not score so the other pitcher was better by one pitch.

With that said, he did it. He conquered his fears and threw the ball. it landed over the fence, but hey....he figured it out.

There is one more game before they take the 12 hour bus ride back to campus. I predict that they will get there around 4 am. The kid has a 9 am class which he cannot miss. Oh, the joys of baseball.


By the way, during the first inning, Big Red had to be taken out. A foul ball hit his throwing hand slicing and dislocating his thumb. After being taken to the hospital for treatment, he is now out for quite a while. 



Gotta go! Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment